Videos are hugely popular online, from grumpy cats and music videos, to breaking news and movie trailers. In fact, YouTube (owned by Google) has become the second most popular website worldwide.
Today I want to share with you practical, actionable information on how to create and use video to promote your book and yourself. First, here are a few of the ways that authors can use video:
- For nonfiction authors, content-based videos (where you discuss the book’s topic) can be very effective. You can even do a series of videos dealing with different aspects of your topic. Options include “talking head” video where you are filmed speaking about the topic, demonstrations of how to do something, a slideshow with voiceover, or a combination of these. Be sure to promote the book at the end of the content-based video and include your website link. You can also work in mentions of the book earlier in the video (“Here are some of the top tips for _____ from my new book ______.”) but be sure to provide useful content rather than just promotion.
- Video trailers (short commercial-style videos, similar to movie trailers) work best for novels, narrative nonfiction, and children’s books. Usually these include a series of images and text with music or voiceover in the background, with a promotion to buy the book at the end. Don’t forget the link to your website or a short link to your Amazon page.
- Children's book authors can post videos of book readings or related activities for kids.
- Authors can also share short video clips from live events such as presentations, television interviews, and book launch parties. These work best on the author blog and social networks.
- Videos can be used as blog posts in place of, or in conjunction with, written articles on your blog and guest posts on other sites.
- Some authors include a video greeting on their website. These are most useful for nonfiction authors and it helps people feel more connected. I don’t recommend videos that start playing automatically when you land on the page because some people find that annoying and it may slow down your page load time.
Where to Use Book Promotion Videos
Videos are great for attaching to posts on Facebook and Twitter. Having a video or photo added to a Facebook post makes it stand out and usually causes the post to be shown on more of your friends’ timelines. Also post your videos on your Author Page on Amazon.